Tuesday, June 28, 2011

colors of the houses, the vivid clothes


Kids coming home with me from school!
I say "Nipe Tano" or Hi Five and they laugh hysterically!

I think everyday that I could never have imagined the colors of the houses, the vivid clothes, the sights and sounds of this country......my new "home" in Kenya. The differences are experienced from both sides of the relationship! Africa has greeted me with a vengeance however.
Training is rigorous, another 8 weeks of Kiswahili, cultural and biz practices, medical ad nauseum,plus all the work in getting around on tightly packed, rutted red dirt paths, sometimes 6 mi per day on foot. All fascinating but exhausting. Then there are elephants moving slowly through the bush. We'll see if am really a hearty Coloradan. Kenyan and American staff, other trainees are amazing people. Several couples and strays my age, and all that youth too...to keep us going.
Several marriage proposals too, but i don't have enough goats to make the dowry requirement.
(and yes everyday I ask "what am I doing here!" Hoping to enjoy living in another culture wasn't it?)
Dutch

1 comment:

  1. Seems you are having a very exciting experience.Miss you at the Thursday wine parties

    ReplyDelete